Sunday, November 2, 2008

Beastie Boys!

The day after Halloween is usually a day of recovery, a day where you don't leave the comfort of your own couch. But yesterday I before I could even fully recover from the night before, I got privlage of going to see the Rock the Vote show last night at Roy Wilkins. The line up for the show was one I could have only dreamed of: Beastie Boys, Ben Harper, AND Tenacious D.

To say that this Roy Wilkins Auditorium ticket was hard to find is a great understatement. There was not a single person outside selling tickets or a single ticket left at the box office. The whole concert sold out in 3 minutes. I wondered why they booked it at such a small venue, but the I realized that the Timberwolves had a game and the WCHA Gopher games were being held at the Xcel Engery Center. Timberwolves tickets and Xcel Energy Center tickets did not have the supply and demand problem that the Beastie Boys tickets did. The show was awesome, I am so glad that I got to go!

Jack Black and Kyle Glass's band, Tenacious D opened the show. They are truly a band I did not think I would ever get the chance to see. Since Jack Black makes movies full time now there is not a lot of tiem left for The D to tour and record. They played all their jams and they even came out and did a cover of "Under Pressure" with Ben Harper. Ben Harper was also a suprise. Usually a very acoustic folky sound, he played with a full band and really rocked the house down. It was a nice segway to the Beasties Boys! Mix Masxter Mike started their set showcasing some of his mad DJ skills which was followed by "Super Disco Breakin."

I sat thorugh all the jams like, "Sure Shot," "Pass the Mic," Body Movin," "Intergalactic," "No Sleep til Brooklyn," and "Sabatoge." As a sat there my eyes truly could not believe what a I was seeing and my ears could not believe what I was hearing.

I will post pictures from the show (I took about 100!) soon. I couldn't help myself sitting in the front row of the balcony - center.

1 comment: